Friday, June 25, 2010




June 25th ... this morning at the crack of dawn Emmanuelle headed back to the bay area ... we will miss her greatly as we head east from Jackson to Boston ... we will continue this blog as it has given us such pleasure ... before reporting yesterday's ride, I would like to again thank Emmanuelle for organizing this part of the trip ... it could not have been better.

As for yesterday, it was the best of rides and the worst of rides . First the best, the ride from Swan Valley to Victor was stunningly beautiful ... from Victor up to the pass at 8431 feet was a bit disappointing due to the incessant stream of RVS, campers, trailers and trucks all of which sprayed diesel fumes on the hapless cyclists who were navigating the 10% grades.

The worst part for me was the ride downhill which was more than 5 miles of 10%. About halfway down my carbon rims overheated and warped and my front tube blew out. Happily, I was able to stop without falling and got a ride to Fitzgerald's Bike Shop who were extremely helpful. I will have to send my front wheel back to Reynolds for a new rim but I was not hurt so that is a small price to pay.

Over the next two days, Rita (Nini) and I will visit Yellowstone and Teton National Parks then back on the bike to traverse the Continental Divide at Togwotee Pass (9000 plus feet)

No comments:

Post a Comment